Medical Malpractice Lawyer NYC
Injuries resulting from the failure of a professional to provide service that meets the accepted standards of practice for that profession constitute professional malpractice. Professionals include doctors, lawyers, nurses, accountants, technicians, therapists and others.
For medical malpractice claims, the damages are usually physical injuries or loss of life. Other professional malpractice claims may include damages such as an economic loss or emotional trauma. In either circumstance, the New York City medical malpractice lawyer at Segan, Nemerov & Singer, P.C aggressively advocate for you, fighting to protect your rights and win the compensation you deserve.
Medical and healthcare professionals are required to provide their patients with a standard of care that would be considered ordinary or normal by another professional in the same or similar situation. Some of the most common scenarios of medical malpractice include:
- Surgical errors-can involve any preventable error during surgery, including foreign objects being left in the body. Some are the result of physician incompetence but most result from poor planning and work processes.
- Misdiagnosis. When a medical professional fails to properly diagnose your condition where another similar medical professional would have properly and timely diagnosed it based on the available evidence, you may have a valid malpractice claim.
- Prescription errors.– These includes cases where a professional prescribes the wrong medicine or the right medicine but in incorrect doses.
Other common types of medical malpractice include:
- Substandard or improper treatment of the patient
- Failing to obtain informed consent
- Birth injuries or trauma
- Dental malpractice
- Inappropriate patient treatment after a correct diagnosis
- Failing to diagnose and treat a patient’s medical condition or injury in a timely manner
Medical malpractice, a specialty area, requires extensive knowledge and experience to properly prepare and prosecute a case, including a good understanding of medicine, anatomy and the way in which the body functions and knowledge about the laws that apply to medical malpractice cases. It also requires access to top professional experts to review and support your claims. We have this specialized knowledge and experience for birth injuries, dental malpractice and other personal injury areas.
Other professional malpractice
Any professional may be held to a reasonable professional standard considered normal or ordinary by other similar professionals for their work and their advice. Professional malpractice can be the result of:
- Negligence. When any licensed professional, such as a lawyer or doctor, fails to provide services to a client that meet the standards set by the governing body overseeing the profession and causes harm, such failure may be considered negligence.
- Guarantee of a result that is not achieved.
- Ignorance.– It is not an acceptable defense for a professional to claim ignorance of the rules set by the governing body of his or her profession.
- Intentional misconduct. n cases of negligence or ignorance, the professional in question does not realize the extent of the harm he or she has caused. In cases of intentional misconduct, the professional acts with full knowledge of such harm and proceed anyway for personal gain.
- Fraud.-A professional who misrepresents an ability to properly handle your matter may be legally liable for fraud when the inability leads to mistakes that negatively affect your situation.
Victims of professional malpractice may suffer financial and/or emotional damage and may be entitled to monetary compensation. Such damages may include:
- Lost wages, past and future
- Medical and rehabilitative costs, past and future
- Pain and suffering, past and future
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Substantiating your medical or other professional malpractice case requires the aid of experienced and aggressive attorneys. The medical malpractice attorneys at Segan, Nemerov & Singer, P.C have extensive experience representing plaintiffs in a variety of medical and other professional malpractice cases. Our knowledge in opposing the interests of defense counsel, insurance company representatives and insurance adjusters is critical when seeking the compensation you deserve. If you believe that you may have a medical malpractice case, call our medical malpractice lawyer at 212.696.9100 or click here to contact us online.